*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclaimer for additional details. Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site!
Very rarely do I ever decide to try and throw ingredients together. I know I’m not a good cook. I only started cooking when I split from my ex. For 17 years, he did all the cooking, and my parents before that. When I realized I had run out of honey for tonight’s salmon dish, I decided to try and improvise.
I decided I’d try baked salmon with soy sauce and brown sugar. This was all part of my meal planning/budgeting shopping trip where I spent only $75 to shop for 2. Normally I use soy sauce and honey so it can’t be all that different right?
I was wrong. It was amazing!
That is the benefit of experimentation I guess! You should totally try it. Without further adieu, here is the recipe.
- 1 – Salmon Filet
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix 1 tbsp brown sugar with 1/4 cup soy sauce. Stir to mix.
- Line baking sheet with tinfoil and place salmon on sheet.
- Brush soy sauce / brown sugar mixture onto salmon. (Don’t skimp on this step). There should be at least half left over.
- Put salmon in oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 min, baste salmon again with mixture. There should still be some left over, we’ll use that for the last step.
- Let salmon bake another 10 min in oven.
- After 10 min check temperature of salmon. Measured in the thickest part with a meat thermometer it should be at least 145 Fahrenheit.
- Baste salmon one more time and then broil for 3 min.
I let my salmon sit for a couple of minutes to cool down and then portioned it out. Serve hot with your sides.
I used the same tray to cook roasted potatoes so cleanup was super easy.
The flavor of this salmon dish is just amazing. A hint of sweetness, super moist. Definitely going to do this one again!
It’s not often that I get brave enough in the kitchen to try a new recipe but I’m glad I did and am able to share it with you here.
Can you do me a favor? If you found this post interesting or helpful, share it on social media or pin one of my pins to Pinterest. This simple step really does help me out!